The past few years I have been transitioning to a more natural beauty and skincare routine. Sometimes I make my own products and other times I buy products that I know are made without the use of dangerous chemicals. I have lots of favorite all-natural beauty and skin products but sometimes I just like something I have made myself better. When I’ve made it, I love knowing exactly what has gone into the product that I am absorbing into my skin and bloodstream.
This recipe is for a make-up setting spray that I put on after applying my make-up in the morning. As a teacher I am on the go all day long and have very little time to stop and look in the mirror so I need to know that my make-up is going to stay in place without any touch-ups! This light weight spray takes care of that worry for me and gives me all the peace of mind I need while teaching my tiny humans how to paint!
Here is my recipe:
- 2 Tbsp Witch Hazel
- 1 Tbsp Aloe Vera Gel (natural, not the bright green stuff)
- 1 Tbsp Distilled Water
- 5 drops Jasmine Essential Oil
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 oz. glass bottle with spray nozzle
- Fill 2 oz. glass bottle with 1 tablespoon natural aloe vera gel.
- Add 2 tablespoons witch hazel and 1 tablespoon water to fill bottle.
- Shake well to mix thoroughly.
- Add essential oils and shake again to evenly disperse.
- To use: Shake well and spray over freshly applied makeup.
I love using lavender and jasmine essential oils because they smell so lovely. Lavender is also great for your skin to soothe redness and irritation. I use Jasmine for its empowering and confidence-boosting aroma, as well as the fact that it is great for improving dry or dehydrated skin!
I know there are lots of different recipes out there, has anyone tried a different recipe for a DIY setting spray? How do you make yours? I love this one and I hope you to do!
love & light
I love making my own bath and beauty products, I think it is a fun way to experiment with all natural living and exploring healthier alternatives to some of the chemical-laden store options out there. I am totally a bath kind of lady.. After a stressful day I think there are very few things out there that feel as good as a long soak in the tub, so many of my favorite recipes happen to be bath products.
This tropical sugar scrub recipe smells so delicious, the coconut and lime aromas make me feel like I am on a beach vacationing somewhere near the equator. I am using it right now because it is summer but I also love to make a batch of this lovely scrub when I am having the Michigan mid-winter stir-crazy blues.
The sugar is a great exfoliator to get rid of dead skin and impurities while the coconut oil is super moisturizing and leaves skin feeling soft and smooth! You can use it in the bath or the shower and the sugar dissolves quickly for easy cleaning. Use this quick and easy recipe to make the sugar scrub whenever you need a little fresh and healthy pick-me-up… or just whenever you feel like it!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 unrefined virgin coconut oil (if you don’t like the smell of coconut you can use refined)
- 5 drops lime essential oil
- zest of 1 lime
- Combine sugar and coconut oil.
- Add lime zest and mix evenly.
- Add 5 drops lime essential oil. Stir to combine.
- Store in a glass airtight container.(*Note: Remember, citrus oils can cause skin sensitivity to the sun so start small, if you add more than the recommended amount avoid direct sunlight immediately following use.)
I simply love this recipe and even with my super sensitive skin I have no trouble in the sun with the essential oil ratio used. Remember that the temperature of your coconut oil may change the consistency slightly so add more sugar or oil accordingly to get the texture you desire in a scrub! I prefer to use an unrefined coconut oil so I get a heavy coconut scent but you can use refined coconut oil if the smell doesn’t appeal to you.
I hope you enjoy your all natural at-home pampering!
love & light